Thursday, May 19, 2011

I'm Back!!!

I'm Here are You?!!!!

I am so sorry for being gone so long. It really was so crazy, more than I ever thought it would be. We were living out of our house for a total of 3 weeks. Then we lived in a construction zone. Our house is almost finished with all of the repair work. Yesterday was the first time I was able to start really cooking in my kitchen again. I did get to cook and experiment while living with my mom a little bit. I'll share those recipes in the following weeks. Thank you for sticking it out with me. :]


Today, even though it's not Wisdom Wednesday, I wanted to share with you what I've learned about Eating Out.


Have you ever watched the show called "The Biggest Looser"? Well some of the contestants in past years have talked about 'learning to eat out' after they returned home. I'm hear to tell you that that is so true. When you switch to eating healthier or if you have a restrictive diet, you really do need to "learn" how to eat out. With my diet restrictions it is much harder than most people mainly because of the no fat/oils part. So these are some of the things that I've learned. I hope they help you to make healthier decisions when you eat out for fun or if you're forced to. :]


-Ask questions about everything. Most waiters know the answer or will be willing to get the answer for you. I always ask how the chicken is prepared. If it is grilled on a true grill or on a flat surface. If it is cooked on a flat surface it could possibly get grease from previous cooked hamburgers or steaks if they don't clean it off every time in between. I always ask to see the ingredients. One waiter didn't know the answer and she brought me the whole box that their chicken came in. :] You can order things to be changed. If a chicken breast is breaded, they usually put the breading on right before it is cooked in oil. You can ask to have the chicken grilled instead. If it is a marinated chicken, again I ask to see a list of the ingredients and if it came marinated or if they add it to the chicken. If they add it, you can always have them cook it plain or put the marinade off to the side.

-Always explain the reason for asking the questions. I have found that when I tell people that I have a really restrictive diet they are more than happy to help me out.

-Always be kind, say thank you, say please, I would appreciate it if... things like that go a long way.

-Look at the side options. Almost always they will have a baked potato that you can order to your liking. Most places will leave the butter off of the steamed veggies, they are good with just salt I promise. :]

-I always ask how the rice is prepared. Did you know that a lot of places cook their rice in butter and or oil? Well they do, like I mentioned before ASK QUESTIONS!

-Some places are easier to eat at than others. I have found that most steak houses have the best options (at least for me and my diet) to choose from.

I hope these suggestions help you to be more healthy while eating out. Here's to a happy healthier you!!

1 comment:

  1. We go out to eat because it's convenient. When you are on a tight budget and food restrictions are so vast, the connivence factor is eliminated and I have found that we just don't go out anymore. Besides...food taste better at home anyway. The only problem...kids need to eat out to test their table manners.

    ReplyDelete