Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Butternut Chicken Stew

The Stew is pictured on the left with the GF bread from here. The other is banana bread pudding made in the crock pot (I can post about that later if you want the recipe).

I got this recipe from http://www.simpledailyrecipes.com/. It is so yummy and I didn't have to change very much at all! The butternut squash was like candy! My favorite way to eat this is with out the corn, you can decide for yourself. I've also made this with extra bell peppers, red and yellow ones. My oldest son said it was rainbow soup when we were eating it.

Butternut Chicken Stew
Ingredients and Directions
1 small onion, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 T 'I can't believe it's not butter' spray (you can use butter or olive oil)
--------cook in a large pot over medium heat until onion has softened.
1 can diced tomatoes with garlic and onions
2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded (I have used left over chicken)
1 can kidney beans, slightly drained
1/2 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed to make 1 1/2 cups
1 can beef broth
1 can chicken broth
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1/4 to 1/2 tsp pepper
---------Add the next ingredients to pot, bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.
1 can corn
---------Add corn and cook another 15 minutes and then serve.
I didn't add all of the broths at once. I waited to see how soupy it would be. I like my stews to be really thick. Also as I said before I liked it better without the corn. If you're not putting in the corn just cook it for the additional 15 minutes or until the squash is as tender as you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment