Monday, March 29, 2010

Strawberry Bars/Upside Down Cake/Cupcakes

It's Strawberry season now, well at least they are on sell at the stores. So I've been going crazy with Strawberries!! I've made jam, fruit leather, bars, syrup, sweet rolls, salads, and froze some so I can use them later in pies and breads.
This recipes is by far my favorite with Strawberries. I got my base for this recipe from the old Betty Crocker's Cookie book. I couldn't find the same printing online so here is a newer version, if you're interested.
They really didn't turn out like bars. They are more like cake and cupcake texture. So I started by putting it in a 8x8 pan, then a 11x7x1 pan lining the bottom with strawberries. I loved it so much I did some cupcakes with one sliced strawberry on the bottom. They turned out equally tasty and the best part is they are fat free and you can't tell! I liked the Upside Down Cake/Cupcakes versions the best so that is what I'm calling it.

Strawberry Upside Down Cake/Cupcakes


Ingredients
3/4 cup Packed organic Brown Sugar (this is evaporated cane juice and molasses)
3/4 cup Pureed strawberries (If they're tart add a little evaporated cane juice before adding them to batter)
1/4 cup no sugar added apple sauce
1 egg
1 1/4 cup Low gluten Flour mix
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup chopped strawberries
3-4 sliced strawberries (for cupcakes, you need more strawberries for a cake)
1/2 cup organic powdered sugar (I make my own, blend 1 T corn starch and 1 cup evaporated cane juice in blender until powdered sugar consistency, about 4 minutes)

Directions
Heat oven to 350*F. Mix brown sugar, pureed strawberries, apple sauce, and egg together with hand held mixer. Add GF flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, xanthan gum, and baking powder. Mix well. Stir in chopped strawberries. Line bottom of pan or cupcake liners with sliced strawberries. Sprinkle a little evaporated cane juice over the sliced strawberries. Pour batter over sliced strawberries and bake for 12-15 minutes for cupcakes, 25-30 mintues for cake, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cupcakes on cookie rack. Sprinkle organic powder sugar on top just before serving.
Yields 18 cupcakes.

If you don't have to worry about Gluten, simply substitute whole wheat flour for the low gluten flour and take out the baking powder and xanthan gum. They should turn out the same. :]

I didn't get a picture because they were eaten so fast!
Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment