Tuesday, March 30, 2010

No-Bake Peanut Butter Squares

I have been experimenting with different desserts more lately. My mom requested that I post this recipe that I changed a little last weekend. I got the original recipe from Betty Crocker's Cooke Book that I talked about yesterday. I love butterscotch so this does have a little more sugar in it than I like. Also this recipe does have fat in it from the coconut oil and peanut butter. Some people shy away from coconut oil because it does have lots of saturated fat. What they don't understand is that it is much easier on your body to process besides all of the healthy qualities it has that I'll go over later. It is the only fat that my body can handle so I use it when I have to have a solid fat such as butter or Crisco and sometimes when I need a liquid fat. The liquid fat depends on why the fat is being used in the recipe.

No-Bake Peanut Butter Squares
Ingredients
1 cup organic powdered sugar
1/8 cup coconut oil, room temperature but not runny
1 T 'I can't believe it's not butter' spray
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/3 cups Gluten Free graham cracker crumbs (I like Smore'ables)
1/8 cup organic peanut butter (only peanuts and salt) room temperature
1/2 package carob chips
1/4 package butterscotch chips

Directions
Line square 8x8 pan with aluminum foil. Beat powdered sugar, coconut oil, butter spray, and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer. Stir in graham cracker crumbs and a handful of butterscotch chips. Mixture will be very stiff. Press into pan.
Melt the rest of the butterscotch chips and spread over mixture. Then melt the carob chips and spread that over the butterscotch. Refrigerate about 2 to 3 hours. The carob and butterscotch will set before the rest of the mixture. Because you are using organic peanut butter it will take longer to set up. Once it is set remove from pan, using foil to lift; fold back foil. Cut into squares and serve. These must be stored in the fridge. The organic peanut butter and the coconut oil will become loose the longer they are out of the fridge. But at least you won't be eating all of the extra chemicals and stabilizers! :] Happy eating!

Sorry no picture again, they were gone too fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment