Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Meringue Frosting

There are a lot of Gluten Free cake mixes out there. I bought a few of them to experiment with. It was my husbands birthday a few weeks ago and I thought it would be fun to try out of those mixes on him. Don't worry I asked him first. I'll show you what mix I used for this cake on Friday. I really liked how it turned out! It was perfectly moist and you couldn't tell it was a gluten free cake. I followed the directions on the bag, except for the oil I replaced it with applesauce. You know me, I'm always trying to cut the fat out of everything. :] I really think the frosting made this cake. It was unbelievably delicious!! It will be my go-to chocolate frosting from now on. If you are a chocolate lover and if you want to cut out some fat and not taste this is the frosting for you! Try it you'll love it!!

Chocolate Meringue Frosting

Ingredients

3/4 cup evaporate cane juice

2 large egg whites

3 tablespoons water

1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

1/8 teaspoon fine salt

3 oz. semi sweet mini morsels

3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

Bring a few inches of water to a boil in a saucepan that can hold an electric mixer bowl above the water. Whisk the evaporated cane juice, egg whites, water, cream of tartar, and salt in the bowl. Set the bowl above the boiling water and beat with an electric hand mixer at medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. about 9 minutes. Remove from heat and mini morsels. Gentle stir until morsels are completely melted. Then add cocoa and vanilla extract until well combined. Let frosting cool before frosting cake, and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment