Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tuna Cakes

Yesterday was a holiday in my state, so today feels like a Monday. I'm a little mixed up this week. :]

I'm trying to branch out a little in my cooking, adding more variety to what I cook. A lot of that is because my husband is backing living full time with us. He used to work 2 and a half hours away, so he would live by his work during the week and come home on the weekends. He loves to try new things. When we used to go out to eat I would always order the same thing and he never did. To this day he doesn't have a favorite food, just variety.

I am happy to say that I'm enjoying 'branching out'. My kids do not like tuna. They won't even eat a tuna sandwich. So I was completely shocked when they loved these tuna cakes! I'm not much of a fish eater and I like these too. They are very moist, the have great flavor (not too tuna-ie) and good texture. My kids like dipping the cakes in a mixture of tartar sauce, ketchup, and relish. I'm sure you can try different toppings. :] Hope you'll try these, they're worth the "branching out".

Tuna Cakes

Ingredients

2 cans (6 1/2 oz each) tuna in water, 1 can drained

1 cup crushed crackers (I used these GF ones)

2 egg whites

2 1/2 tablespoons braggs liquid aminos

1 teaspoon garlic powder

2 tablespoons each finely diced red, yellow, and orange sweet peppers

Directions

Heat oven to 350* F, and lightly spray a baking sheet with non stick cooking spray. Place crushed crackers in a bowl and add tuna, eggs whites, braggs and garlic powder. Mix until well blended. Then add peppers and stir until well distributed. Form mixture into 8 evenly sized patties and place on greased baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and turn each patty over. Return to oven and bake for another 8 minutes. Then remove serve and enjoy with your choice of sauce.

Find orginal recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment