Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Wisdom Wedesday!!



Ever since my children were really little I've tried to introduce them to new and different foods, mostly in the vegetable and fruit worlds. Sometimes they love the new fruit or veggie, and sometimes they don't. If they don't, I try to give it to them in different ways. So far the hardest vegetable, by far, for me to get them to eat is Celery. I've put it in soups, I've smothered it with dressing, I've put it in stir fry, I made 'ants on a log' for them and still they don't like it. Even in the soups they can tell and they pick it out! When I came across this article I decided that with celery, it wasn't that big of a deal to get them to eat it. In this article it lists three vegetables that have the least nutritional value. Celery is on the top of the list. I have never looked at the nutritional value of celery before. So I've come to the conclusion that if my kids never eat celery again it's okay, and I'm not going to try and sneak it in to anything any more. The next time I have this hard of a time getting them to eat something, I'll look at the nutritional value to see if it's worth my time and effort or if it's just better if they eat something else. :] Check out the article here for the other two veggies they talked about. And remember Happier Healthier Eating!!

1 comment:

  1. growing up my mom always incorporated spinach into every meal she cooked. It was amazing how she did it.. she added it to spaghetti sauce, in stew, in enchiladas.... because of her I was always a lean and healthy child and now I cook my own healthy meals (with tons of spinach!)

    way to introduce your kiddos to veggies! they will definitely thank you in the future!

    ReplyDelete