Monday, October 18, 2010

Two-Bean Tamale Pie

MIA
Sorry I was MIA last week. It was a crazy week to say the least. I'll spare you the details, just know that I'm back and I have some wonderful recipes to share with you. :]
Lately I've been looking for more recipes that are vegetarian. Not that I have anything against meat, I don't. I been wondering how they do it. I know there are a lot of yummy dishes that people make and even some that I've made without thinking, 'let's make a vegetarian dish tonight'. When I came across this recipe I thought it sounded really good, it seemed pretty easy to make, and there were lots of changes I could make to it to make it even more healthy. I've made it a few times. The picture above is from the first time I made it. It was okay but I made it better and forgot to take a picture of the better version. The version I'm sharing with you today. I loved it! It was amazing how filling it was. The slight spiciness of the beans went perfectly together with the sweetness of the corn bread. It just hit the spot. And to top it all off, this is another wonderful gluten free dish!
Two-Bean Tamale Pie
Ingredients
1 medium red sweet pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
2 teaspoons butter
1 can black beans, drained, rinsed, and slightly mashed
1 can pinto beans, drained, rinsed, and slightly mashed
1 4 oz can diced green Chile peppers
1 can diced tomatoes with garlic and onion
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Topping
1 cup corn flour
1/2 cup corn meal
1/2 cup evaporated can juice
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup rice milk
2 eggs
2 tablespoons applesauce
Directions
Preheat oven to 400*F. Grease a *deep 2-quart baking dish and set aside. In a medium skillet cook sweet pepper, onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in pinto and black beans, chili powder, cumin, diced tomatoes, and green chiles; heat through. Spoon mixture into the prepared dish.
In a medium bowl combine corn flour, corn meal, evaporated cane juice, baking powder, and salt and set aside. In another bowl combine rice milk, eggs, and applesauce. Add dry mixture to wet mixture and combine well. Pour corn bread mixture on top of bean mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of the corn bread comes out clean. Can serve with salsa and sour cream.
*If you do not use a deep baking dish the corn bread will raise and fall over the side of the dish while baking. I like to use my corning ware deep dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment