Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Widsom Wednesday!!

Natural Remedies

Happy Wednesday! It's nice to be back posting on Wednesday. I don't know what happened last week, but I'm here now. I'm excited to share with you some natural remedies today. You might be saying to your self, "why would I talk about natural remedies on my healthy food should taste good blog?" Well, I'll tell you. I've said before that knowledge is power, so on Wednesday I talk about stuff that can help you to be healthier. These natural remedies all have to do with things you have in your kitchen or spices and flowers that are grown on the earth. So it really does have to do with food.
In the home I grew up in there were lots of natural home remedies. For example, if we had a stomach ache my mom would take 8oz of warm water, add a cap full of apple cider vinegar, and a spoonful of honey. You might think that sounds gross, but actually it's not gross at all when you're not feeling good. And it really does work. I also give it to my kids when they have upset stomachs. My husband, who didn't know about vinegar and honey until after we were married, is a bigger believer than I am. He'll make some up and drink it when one of our kids are sick so he won't get sick, and most of the time he doesn't get sick. Now that I'm older I know more about why that works. When your Ph is out of balance it can cause stomach pain. Apple Cider Vinegar can balance the acid in your stomach, your Ph, making it easier to digest your food.
Another thing we always had was Thick'n Milk. It's basically a roue with a little milk, so it's really thick. Then you pour it on a plate and top with cinnamon and sugar. I always loved eating that when I was sick and I couldn't keep anything down. Cinnamon is very soothing on the stomach.
Now that I am older and have kids of my own, I've done even more research on natural cures. I love essential oils and what they can do for the common cold, flu, and other little things like ear aches (I'll talk more about essential oils another Wednesday). The reason I've decided on this topic today is an article I came across entitled, "Natural remedies for the 15 most common aches, pains, and health complains". I love that this article talks a little bit about vinegar for your stomach so you don't think I made it up on my own. :] Also it talks a little bit about things that essential oils can do. For example, using peppermint or lavender oil for headaches. It really does work! I do it all the time. Or using peppermint for when you are nauseous. I used that a lot when I was pregnant. Something I wanted to add to their list of things to do if you have heart burn or acid reflux is to eat raisins and bananas to help calm down the burning. There were some things in the article that I had never heard of before. Did you know that Cayenne pepper can stop bleeding and sooth the pain? I didn't know that. The next time I cut myself cooking, I'm going to try it. I would suggest reading the article. I recommend clicking here and reading the entire article for yourself, you might find it interesting. Here's to a Happy Healthier you!

No comments:

Post a Comment