Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Wisdom Wednesday!!

Grocery Shopping


Today I want to talk about Grocery Shopping. What we bring home from the store is what we are going to eat when we are home. So I'm going to ask you a question, "What is in your shopping cart?" Do you bring home healthy food or do you bring home more snack foods? Here are some tips that I've learned over the past few years on how to do your grocery shopping so you are bringing home more healthy foods.


First, and most important, is never good to go to the store hungry. I'm sure you've heard of that one before. I think I remember my mother telling me this one. But it is true. When you are hungry your blood sugar is low so your body wants to raise those levels quickly. That is bad because then you will think more about sweets rather than fruits or vegetables or something better for your body. Eat before you go grocery shopping.


Second, have a list prepared. If you sit down and plan out your menu for the week, writing down a list of ingredients you need, you'll be more likely to buy what you need and not the snacks and sweets you don't need. Well that's if you stick to that list.

Third, avoid the inner isles. When you go into most grocery stores, at least here in the US, you'll find most of the healthy things such as the deli and produce sections on the outsides of the isles. Go straight for the produce section and fill your shopping cart up there first. Then go get your bread and meats. Then if you have to go down an isle, only go down where you need to get the items on your list. If you go up and down each isle you are more likely to buy things you don't need and more treats.

Fourth, when possible go to the grocery store alone. If you have children leave them home. Again I say when possible. I have three small children, so I don't get to do this all of the time. But it really is so much easier when you are on your own. You don't have to say no or give in to them when they want a treat. If you go with a friend or your spouse they can also put things into your cart that might not be on your list. My husband is usually the one to buy the unhealthy chips and snacks in our family. So I try and do most of the shopping. :]

Fifth, read the ingredients listed on the things you are buying. You should know what is being put in the food you are eating. So read the labels! If there are things on the label you can not pronounce it probably is not good for you.

Sixth, be careful when going into some health food stores. Just because it is considered a "health food store" does not mean that everything in the store is healthy. I've been in these health food stores before and I couldn't believe some of the things they were selling and saying they were healthy. Just be aware and again read the labels.

If you have other tips I would love to hear them. Happier Healthier Eating and Grocery Shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment