Monday, February 28, 2011

Whole Wheat French Bread


Okay so this might not really be "French Bread". I was already making bread, like I do every week, and my kids asked for Spaghetti for dinner. I thought it would be fun to have some nice garlic type bread to go with it. Since I already was kneading the dough I thought I would experiment with it to see how it turned out. I thought it looked beautiful when it came out, and my kids and husband loved it! Maybe someday I'll learn how to make real french bread, but for now this is a lot easier for me. Hope you like it as much as my family did. :]
Whole Wheat French Bread
Ingredients
2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons yeast
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons salt
6 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon gluten
2 teaspoon dough enhancer
Directions
In a small bowl add yeast and pour half of the warm water over top. Pour the remaining water into your mixer and add honey. Stir honey until it dissolves. Then add salt, oil, and one cup of flour and mix. When yeast has doubled in size add it to your mixer and begin mixing. Add another cup of flour and the gluten and dough enhancer. When that is mixed in completely continue added the remaining cups of flour until the dough pulls off the edges of the bowl and is still slightly sticky (you may need to add more flour). Then knead for 10 minutes. Grease a cookie sheet. When dough is finished kneading, take 1/3 to 1/2 of the dough and form a long snake shape loaf. Let it raise until it doubles in size.
Preheat oven to 400*F. Before putting loaf into oven take a sharp knife and cut a few diagonal lines in the top. Bake for 20 minutes. When the bread is finished baking let cool for 5 minutes.
Turn your oven onto broil. Then cut loaf into 1/2 inch slices and place back on cookie sheet. Melt 4 tablespoons of butter and add 1 1/2 teaspoons of garlic powder to the butter. Mix well and then spread a little on each piece of bread. Sprinkle with dried, crushed up, parsley leaves. Put back into oven under the broiler until slightly toasted, about 2-5 minutes watch carefully so they won't burn. Then enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment