Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Spelt Onion Rings

A couple of weeks ago my parents took us out for lunch. We went to a place called Ice Berg. My husband ordered their onion rings. They were huge!! They smelled so good and I wish that I would have been able to eat them. So I went home and started to search the Internet for healthier recipes for onion rings that are baked, not fried. I found a few, but they just didn't taste all that good. So I decided to make up my own recipe, and let me tell you we have a winner!! These onion rings are perfect! They have more flavor than any onion rings I've ever had before. The onion is cooked perfectly and the crust is delightfully crunchy, and yes they are baked not fried. What more could you want? I served these during our Supper Bowl party and they were a huge hit. My in-laws loved them! I hope you do too!
Spelt Onion Rings
Ingredients
2 small onions
1/2 cup spelt flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
dash of salt
1 cup spelt bread crumbs* (about 3 slices of spelt bread, click here for recipe for spelt bread)
2 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 eggs, beaten
vegetable non stick cooking spray
Directions
Preheat oven to 450*F. Line a cookie sheet with tinfoil. Cut off both ends of the onions. Then slice the onions into 1/4 inch slices. Separate into rings and place in bowl of cold water. (The smaller inside rings save for another use) Combine spelt flour, baking powder, and salt in a shallow dish. Put eggs into a separate shallow dish. Combine bread crumbs and garlic powder in a third shallow dish.
Working with one onion ring at a time, remove ring from water, shake off any excess water, dip into flour mixture making sure to coat entire ring, shake off any excess flour. Then dip floured ring into egg mixture coating entire ring, shake off any excess egg. Next dip into bread crumb mixture, making sure to coat entire ring. Place ring on lined cookie sheet and spray with cooking spray. Continue the same dipping method with remaining rings.
Bake in oven for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and turn each ring over and spray with cooking spray. Return to the oven and cook for another 8 minutes. Let cool slightly then serve and enjoy!!
*For my spelt bread crumbs, I cut three slices of my spelt bread and then leave them out over night for drying. Or I put them on a plate in my window seal in the sun for quick drying. I found that to make the crumbs it is easiest to put the slices of bread (broken into smaller pieces) in my blender and blend until fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment