Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Yeast Free Spelt Bread

I don't like to eat a lot of things with yeast in them. In fact before I made this bread, I can't remember the last time I even had a sandwich or a piece of toast. So you can imagine my excitement to find a bread recipe that didn't call for any yeast! Besides all of that the best part about this bread is that it gets better tasting everyday. It has a nutty flavor from the spelt and it is a little more dense than your normal whole wheat bread. It is packet with nutrition not only from the spelt, but tons of iron from the molasses, and lots of protein from the quinoa. I've used this bread in recipes to come and loved it! I've used it eating sloppy joes, and loved it! If you are gluten intolerant and trying to stay away from yeast or not, this is the bread for you!
Yeast Free Spelt Bread
Ingredients
4 cups spelt flour
1/4 cup quinoa seeds
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/2 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups rice milk
2 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon gluten free dough enhancer (optional)
Directions
Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease one 9x5 inch loaf pan. (This recipe can be double very easily. I only make this much because I don't go through it that fast. I store it in my fridge)
In a large bowl, mix together the spelt flour, quinoa seeds, salt, baking soda, xanthan gum, and dough enhancer. Then add molasses, milk, honey and mix well. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until golden, let cool and enjoy! Remember it gets better each day. :]

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for this recipe. I used homeade almond milk, arrowroot and 3 tablespoons of agave instead of molasses and honey and it turned out great. It made 16 generous slices @ 150 calories each give or take. It was sooooooo easy to make and baked for 50 minutes. Yummmmmmmy and healthy too! :)

    ReplyDelete