Thursday, January 13, 2011

Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls

Growing up my mother used to make homemade rolls and cinnamon rolls every Sunday. I know we were spoiled! We also had hot breakfast every morning. We only got to eat cereal on the weekends!! I thought my friends were lucky being able to eat cereal so much. Now that I am older I truly see how I really was the lucky one.
So any who, last Sunday I decided that I should make some Cinnamon rolls for my kids. They were so excited! Cinnamon Rolls are really easy to make. So if you haven't ever tried to make them, now is the time to start.
*I use the same dough as I do when making whole wheat bread. I'll give you that recipe here again.
Ingredients
2 cups warm water
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon yeast
5 to 6 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon vital wheat gluten
1 teaspoon dough enhancer
Directions
Put yeast in a small glass bowl. Pour 1 cup of the warm water over yeast. Pour remaining cup of water in mixer. Add honey to water and stir until dissolved. Then add oil and salt. When the yeast has doubled in size and when you can slightly tip the bowl and nothing sticks to the bottom, add to the mixer. Start mixer on low speed and add one cup of flour. When mixed in well add another cup of flour along with the gluten and dough enhancer. Then add one more cup of flour. After it is mixed in well, change mixing blade to kneading blade. Continue adding flour a little at a time until the dough no longer sticks to the sides. Kneed for 10 minutes.
Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls
Ingredients
Take 1/4 to 1/3 of the dough from the recipe above.
2-3 tablespoon of melted butter
1/4- 1/2 cup organic brown sugar
Ground cinnamon
Directions
On a floured surface, roll dough out to 1/4 inch thick rectangle. Pick up dough and place back on counter making sure it relaxes and will not stick to counter. Spread melted butter all over rolled out dough. Sprinkle organic brown sugar to cover entire surface of dough. Then sprinkle with cinnamon, making sure to cover. Then roll dough up like a jelly roll and cut into 1 inch slices, using a serrated knife to make clean cuts. Place on a greased cookie sheet or pie pan. Let raise until doubled in size. Bake in a 400* F preheated oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
**If you don't want to use all of the dough for cinnamon rolls. Simply shape into ball for rolls, let raise to double in size, then bake in a 400* F preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. Or, put in greased bread pans, let raise to double in size, then bake in a 400*F preheated oven for 20 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha thats funny that you say you were jealous of your friends getting cereal because it was just the opposite in my family. My mom made us breakfast twice a year. One on Christmas morning and the other the first day of school. I envied kids who got a hot breakfast. Thats why I make my kids a warm breakfast at least twice a week if not more and sometimes they complain. I hope as they get older the will appreciate it. That recipe looks yummy. Thanks for pointing out your blog to me I'll have to link it.

    ReplyDelete