Monday, January 31, 2011

Red Enchilada Sauce

I'm not really a red enchilada sauce kind of person. I've always liked the green sauce better, until now. I really liked this recipe, of course I did change some things to it, and it turned out so delicious. Not too sweet. Not too spicy. A perfect taste, just like out of the can but I got to control what went into it. And the best part is, it really didn't take that long to make.
Red Enchilada Sauce
Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons minced onion
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/4 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried parsley leaves
1/4 cup salsa, blended smooth in food processor
1 6oz can tomato paste
1 1/4 cup water
3 teaspoons better than bullion
Directions
Heat the butter/oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and saute for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the oregano, chili powder, basil, ground pepper, salt, cumin, parsley, salsa and tomato sauce. Mix together well. Add the better than bullion to the water until completely dissolved. Then add bullion mixture to tomato mixture. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until consistency. Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Delicious recipe, we have made it several times -- thank you! Just a question on the chili powder measurement...what is that supposed to say? I think I've just used 1/2 tsp and it's turned out fine, but I've always wondered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry I didn't even notice the mistake! It should be 1/4 tsp, but some people like it to be a little more. I'm so glad you have enjoyed it and you've found what works for you! :] Happy Eating!

    ReplyDelete