Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Wisdom Wednesday!!

Winter Squash
Did you know that winter squash can last through March?! Because they have such thick skins they can last several months in a cold dark place. These are the winter squash that I've stocked up on: spaghetti squash, acorn squash, and butternut squash. I just love them! Some other winter squash are: banana squash, buttercup squash, Cushaw squash, and really the list goes on and on. There are several different types.
The good thing is right now, in most grocery stores, they are on really good sales. I didn't get very many butternut squash in my garden so I've purchased more, and I didn't grow any acorn squash this year so I've bought a bunch of them too. There is one very important thing to remember when buying a winter squash. If you are planning on storing it in your basement or garage make sure there are no nicks or cuts into the shell of the squash. If there are, they can go rotten. Winter squash is a great way to still get fresh vegetables and those amazing vitamins through the winter months. So go and get some, then come back and look up some of my delicious recipes on how to cook them. Happy Healthier Eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment