Monday, January 17, 2011

Creamy Butternut Squash Soup

All I have to say is where was this recipe when I was experimenting with all of the other butternut squash soups that were horrible?! This one takes the cake by far! I like it better than the last butternut squash soup I posted. My children loved it and even asked for seconds. My daughter ate it for lunch for three days in a row after we had it for dinner. Then when it was gone my youngest cried because he wanted the "smooth" soup. I laughed at that. :]
This soup is very creamy, has a very nice texture, and the flavor is a nice comforting flavor just like soup should be.
Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 pound butternut squash, either precooked about 2 1/2 cups; or peeled, seeded and cubed
5 cups water with 5 teaspoons 'better than bullion' or 5 cups chicken stock
4 small red potatoes, cubed
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup almond milk
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped chives
1 teaspoon salt, then to taste
pepper to taste
Directions
In a large pot on your stove top on medium heat, melt the butter add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, until onions have softened. Add potatoes, squash, chicken stock and paprika. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover the pan and simmer gently for 25 to 35 minutes, until all the vegetables are soft. Using either a drink blender or an immersions tick blender, process until smooth. Return soup to the pan and stir in the almond milk and salt. Season with pepper and more salt if you need. Reheat gently. Stir in chopped chives or add separately to each bowl, and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious. I think I will make this for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only does this recipe sound delicious... it tastes delicious as well! I made it for dinner and we are loving it. Thanks Amy for sharing lots of great recipes with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Natalie! I'm so glad that you liked it! That is the whole reason I share these recipes with you! :] Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete