Thursday, November 11, 2010

Crock pot Chicken Cacciatore

I have had so much fun getting back into the kitchen! It feels like it's been forever since I've done any real cooking. I'm feeling better now and I can't wait to share with you the fun things I been making.
When I was recovering my wonderful sister-in-law brought over some Chicken Cacciatore. It looked and smelled so delicious, and it tasted even better. I had never heard of chicken cacciatore before. She was shocked, probably because my husband is part Italian. Besides the yummy taste I love how you can add more and more vegetables to this dish and it only makes it better.
I had been craving it ever since then so when I saw this recipe to make it in the crock pot, I was ecstatic! When you don't quite have your energy back the crock pot is the way to cook dinner. :] It is very easy and just as delicious as the oven version but more healthy and gluten free. Hope you enjoy!
Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore
Ingredients
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
2 medium onions, diced
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1 teaspoon dried parsley leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 14oz cans diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
1 6oz can tomato paste
1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
1 medium yellow squash, sliced
1 medium zucchini, sliced
Grated Parmesan cheese
1 package whole wheat noodles, or rice noodles cooked according to package directions
Directions
In a medium bowl (or in the crock pot) combine diced tomatoes, tomato paste, onions, garlic, salt, oregano, basil, and parsley. Once combined, add chicken and stir in well until all of chicken is covered by sauce. Pour into crock pot. Place the remaining vegetables on top of chicken mixture, do not stir*, and put lid on crock pot. Cook on high for 3 -4 hours or until chicken is cooked through. The last 15 minutes stir in the vegetables. Serve on noodles, top with Parmesan cheese, and enjoy!
*If you stir in the vegetables they will be too soggy when chicken is cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment