Monday, July 26, 2010

Scones/Navajo Tacos

My Aunt Donna married a Navajo. I loved going to their home every summer growing up and eating her fry bread. Oh it was so yummy! Unfortunately I do not know how to make fry bread, but I still love Navajo Tacos. So this is how I make them. Actually is it also the way my mom makes them. They are still very yummy. I used to use only have a batch of the dough for the scones but I've experiment and found out that the scones freeze really well. So make tons of scones and put the extras in the freezer for a quick meal another day when we need it.
Navajo Tacos and Scones
Ingredients
2 cups warm water
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup oil
2 tablespoon yeast
2 teaspoons salt
5 cups whole wheat flour
Directions
Take 1/2 cup of the warm water and pour into a bowl, add yeast and let double in size. Put the remaining 1 1/2 cups warm water into the bowl of your mixer. Add honey and stir completely until honey is dissolved. Then and oil and salt and mix. When the yeast has doubled and when you tilt the bowl slightly and no yeast sticks to the bottom, add to the mixing bowl with one cup of flour and mix well. Then add 2 more cups of flour and slowly mix it in. Add remaining 2 cups of flour and then kneed for 10 minutes. While dough is kneading heat oil in deep pan on stove. I usually set my stove to medium to medium low and let the oil take it's time to heat up. That way the oil will not get too hot too quick and burn your scones.
When dough is finished kneading let rest for 5 minutes. With greased hands and surface, roll dough out about 1/4" thick. Gently place dough into oil. When edges start to turn brown turn over. When cooked on both sides let slightly cool on a plate covered with napkins to catch extra oil dripping off.
Top with favorite Chile, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, etc.
For dessert top with honey butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment