Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Cornbread

When I was in 1st grade we had a writing assignment, I can remember it like it was yesterday. It was Thanksgiving time and we had to copy a cornbread recipe that was written down on the chalk board. I took it home to my mom. She has used it ever since, and now I use it too with my changes. It is yummy, my kids love it so much I have to tell them they only can have two helpings so they will eat the rest of their soup or chili. The left overs we have with hard boiled eggs the next morning for breakfast. That is how my mom did it for me when I was little, so that is how I do it with my kids too. Good things really do last. :]
Cornbread
Ingredients
1 3/4 cups corn flour
1 cup corn meal
1/2 cup evaporated cane juice
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups rice milk, warmed to room temperature*
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
3 eggs
Directions
Preheat oven to 400*F. Combine first 5 ingredients, set aside. Mix next 3 ingredients. Beat well. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix. Pour into a greased 9"x13" pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Serve with honey butter.
*The rice milk needs to be warmed so the coconut oil won't solidify. Coconut oil can change from liquid to solid very quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment