Monday, April 5, 2010

Spaghetti Squash

Winter is over, well at least the calender says it is even though there is still snowing, and I've been craving more and more of the fall harvest foods. So I've been eating a lot of squash! When I read about spaghetti squash there were so many negative things about it. I've had it before, it had been a really long time, and I didn't remember it tasting that bad. And really it doesn't taste bad at all. It doesn't have that much flavor to it, but it does absorb flavor really well! I've cooked it a few different ways. It's really good in stir fry! Other say it is a great noodle replacement. But I haven't tried it in spaghetti or alfredo yet. This way is my favorite so far. I didn't write down a recipe for it, I'll just tell you what I did for this time, for this picture. You can always add or take away any veggie you want to. Really the possibilities are endless! Be creative!!
Spaghetti Squash Chicken and Veggies
Ingredients
2-3 T butter (ICBINB* spray)
3 cloves garlic minced
1 cup cut up zucchini
Fist sized group of broccoli, cut up
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced thin
1/2 yellow bell pepper sliced thin
1/2 orange bell pepper sliced
3 cups cooked spaghetti squash
1 1/2 cup cooked carrots**
1-2 already cooked chicken breasts, cubed
Onion Salt
Directions
Saute butter and garlic in sauce pan on medium until garlic is tender. Add zucchini and broccoli and cover, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes. If veggies start to stick too much to the bottom of pan reduce heat to medium low. Add Spaghetti squash and stir, then put peppers on top of squash and cover for another 4 minutes. Add chicken and carrots and stir all together. If it seems a little dry then add a little more butter and stir in. Finish off with a little onion salt for extra flavor. Ready to serve when chicken is heated through and veggies are done to your liking. Top of with parmesan cheese if desired.
*ICBINB -'I can't Believe it's Not Butter' spray
**I cooked the carrots before I added them because they take so long to cook. If you have the time I would add them with the zucchini and broccoli. It will add more nutrients to the dish. When you boil or steam veggies, some of the nutrients leaches out into the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment