Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Rice Crispy Treats

At Easter time and Thanksgiving I have an Aunt that always makes tons of rice crispy treats. This year I was excited to make these. A couple of weeks ago Alicia Silverstone was on Oparh. She has written a new cook book all about healthy food, after making these I would love to get a copy! I down loaded this recipe from Oparh.com that Alicia gave to viewers. I don't have a link to it because now I can't find it. :] I didn't really change anything. I added butterscotch chips. It made these taste so much like Scotcheroos, a rice crispy treat I loved growing up. So next time I'll put more of both carob and butterscotch chips in it. So yummy!

Alicia Silverstone's Crispy Peanut Butter Treats with Chocolate Chips
Ingredients
1 box brown rice crisps cereal
1 3/4 cups brown rice syrup
Fine sea salt
3/4 cup peanut butter or almond butter
1/2 cup grain-sweetened, nondairy chocolate or carob chips
Directions
Pour rice cereal into a large bowl. Heat the syrup with a pinch of salt in a saucepan over low heat. When the rice syrup liquefies, add the peanut butter and stir until well combined. Pour over the rice cereal. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
Once thoroughly mixed and cooled to room temperature, stir in the chocolate chips. Make sure the mixture is cool, or you will end up with melted chocolate instead of chocolate chips in your treats.
Turn the mixture out into an 8x8" or 9x13" baking dish. Wet your wooden spoon lightly and press the mixture evenly into the pan. Let cool for 1 hour- if you can- before cutting into squares or bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment