Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Logan and Brin's Favorite Salad

(I didn't know my camera had a dirty lens when I took this)
We have been making this fun and yummy salad for a few years now. It is my children's favorite salad, so it is named after them. I know there are a lot of different ways to make it with different dressings, this is just the way we like to make it. When I make it, I make a lot and it doesn't last that long. It is a perfect side dish for grilled chicken and veggies. Or to take to a baby or bridal shower, because you can make it ahead of time and it can be left out on the counter longer than potato salad can. I've taken it many places and people always ask me for the recipe. It's so simple and easy to make. Hope you enjoy it too.
Logan and Brin's Favorite Salad
Ingredients
1 package whole wheat Rotini, rice penne noodles.
2 small package cherry tomatoes
3 cups medium cheddar cheese, cubed and separated
1 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2 cans whole olives, drained
2 cups broccoli, chopped
2 cucumbers, peeled and cubed
1 16 oz jar Kraft Sun Dried Tomato Vinaigrette dressing
Directions
Cook Rotini according to package directions. After draining the water, rinse well with cold water. (This helps to get off the extra starch and cool the noodles faster) When noodles are cold put into large bowl. Add tomatoes, cheddar cheese, olives, broccoli, and cucumbers. Pour half of the dressing and half of the Parmesan cheese on top and stir well. Next add the remainder of the cheese and a little more of the dressing, about 1/4 of what is left, and stir well. Taste it and see if it is wet enough for your liking. If you think it needs more dressing then add more. It's all about how you like it! Served chilled.
*If serving it the next day you will need to add a little more of the dressing or don't add it until right before serving. It tends to dry out just a little over night.
Variations:
You can take and add different things to this salad. You can add cooked, grilled, chicken and make it more of a main dish. In the fall I add my own cherry tomatoes with small pear tomatoes. I've put sliced sweet bell pepper in it. What ever vegetable you like. Have fun with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment