Monday, June 14, 2010

Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup

The other day I was browsing through recipes at allrecipes.com when I came across this one. It looked good and most of the comments said that it was the most authentic tasting tortilla soup they've come across outside of Mexico. That sparked my interest, so I made it. I didn't really change that much of it. I do have to tell you, it was amazing! It made my house smell so wonderful all day long. But I was a little unsure because it didn't really look like much when it was finished. It almost looked like all the flavors were cooked out. I can say, after eating it, that they were not cooked out. It truly is my most favorite tortilla soup to date, and so easy to make being cooked in a crock pot!
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Ingredients
12 chicken tenders, frozen
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 can enchilada sauce (you can add the whole thing I just didn't want it too hot for my kids)
1 4oz can diced green chiles
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup water
1 14.5 oz can chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 10oz package frozen corn
Directions
Pour tomatoes, water, and enchilada sauce into crock pot. Then add onion, green chiles, garlic cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Mix well. Then add chicken and corn. Place bay leaf on top and over. Cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or until chicken is cooked through. At about 1 hour stir to make sure the chicken is separated. At 3.5 hours (if chicken is cooked through) take chicken out, shred with fork and knife and return cooking for at least another half an hour to help soak up some of the broth. Remove bay leaf before serving. Serve with crushed corn chips, sour cream, shredded cheese, and guacamole.

No comments:

Post a Comment