Thursday, August 5, 2010

Green Drink

I love "green drink", as we call it in our home. I used to buy Odwalla's form of green drink all the time. Then I decided to make it at home so I could control more of what greens go in it. I love it I have it almost every morning for breakfast. I do share it with my children, but only one glass. It's so funny to me how much they like it and ask for seconds. If the color is a problem for you or your kids try putting it in a dark sippy cup or water bottle, and don't let them see you make it. You will really be surprised at how sweet and yummy this drink really is. One of the important tricks that I've found is that you need to freeze the greens. Well at least I do because I don't have a high powdered mixer. I just have the normal one that my husband and I received when we got married. When they are frozen they blend completely and you don't have little pieces of greens floating around. Also you don't have to add ice that way.
Green Drink
Ingredients
2-3 cups Kale, frozen
2 cups other leafy greens, frozen (I usually use spinach but I have used romaine, Chinese cabbage, and others)
2/3 cup apple juice
1/3 cup pear juice
1/2 cup rice milk
1 banana, peeled
1 cup strawberries, frozen
1/3 cup blackberries
1/2 cup blueberries
2-3 tablespoons honey
Directions
Put Kale and other greens into blender. Add rice milk and apple juice. Turn on blender to the highest speed. It will take a few minutes for the greens to blend completely. If your blender starts to struggle add the pear juice or use one of the frozen stems from the kale to push the greens down a little. Once the greens are completely mixed in and smooth, add the banana, berries, and pear juice (if not added before). Blend on high until completely mixed. Once it is all blended taste it before you add the honey, you might not need it. Serve right away and enjoy!
Variations:
I don't always have fresh berries on hand. If I don't then I just use a frozen medley of blackberries, strawberries, and raspberries. Sometimes I add a whole peeled pair and use what ever juice I have on hand. As long as you are using at least 4 cups of greens to just over 2 cups of fruit you'll be good. Sometimes I even add less fruit and my kids don't notice except for the color is more green than a purple green.

No comments:

Post a Comment