Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Wisdom Wednesday!!

Fat for Breakfast?!
That is what The Bottom Line's Daily Health News said in their news letter on the 3rd of August. In the news letter they stated that the University of Alabama at Birmingham had conducted a study with mice. They would feed half of the mice a high-fat (45% fat) breakfast and the other half a high-carbohydrate breakfast (10% fat). The mice that were given the high-fat breakfast were given a high-carbohydrate dinner. The ones that were given the high-carbohydrate breakfast were given a high-fat dinner. Both groups did not get lunch so they all got the same amount of calories. Researchers said that they found that eating a high-fat breakfast activated fat metabolism. Those mice had "better metabolic markers--including body weight, glucose tolerance and blood insulin and triglyceride levels." The mice that ate the high-carbohydrate breakfast switched off fat metabolism and actually experienced "weight gain, increased body fat, glucose intolerance and other signs of metabolic syndrome."
Keep in mind that they are not talking about eating bacon and sausage. They are talking about the healthy fats like omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
After reading this I thought about what I ate for breakfast and how it made me feel. Most days I have what I call 'green drink' with some granola. (Tomorrow I'll post the recipe for the green drink and on Friday I'll post the granola I eat) On days that I have the green drink I feel full longer, I have more energy, and I don't crave treats (most of the time :]). The greens that I mostly use are Kale and Spinach. In one cup of Kale there is 121 mg of omega-3 fatty acid, and 92.4 mg of omega-6 fatty acid. I usually put in 2 cups or more of Kale in my green drinks. I also put in at least one cup of Spinach. In one cup of Spinach there is 41.4 mg of omega-3 fatty acid and 7.8 mg of omega-6 fatty acid. In the granola I eat there is .7 g of omega-3 fatty acid. I didn't realize how much fat I was really eating at breakfast until I started looking it up after reading their article. So my whole point in sharing what I eat for breakfast is that I agree with this article. It makes since to me. So I suggest taking a look at the food you eat in the morning. See how it makes you feel the rest of the day. Keep a food journal if it will help, especially if you are trying to loose a few extra pounds and always... Happy Healthy Eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment