Monday, August 2, 2010

Whole Wheat Key Lime Pie Cupcakes

Just over a year ago I saw Wendy Paul on T.V. for the first time. She was introducing her new cup cake cook book, 101 gourmet cupcakes in 10 minutes a day. I had just started cooking with cupcakes so when I saw her I was even more inspired. I bought her cook book that day and I have loved it ever since. If you like to bake with cupcakes you need this cook book. I have spent a lot of time taking her ideas and trying to make up healthier versions. I've made several different ones, some are gluten free and some are not. I'm excited to start baking them again. Here is the first one I'm going to share with you, it does have some things in it that I'm still trying to see if I can change like the sweetened condensed milk. I was talking to a woman the other day that said she knew how to make her own. When I get that recipe I will have to start experimenting with it that's for sure.
I really didn't take pictures of the cupcakes I made all last year because I hadn't thought about this blog yet. But that's okay I don't mind remaking them. :]

Whole Wheat Key Lime Pie Cupcake
Ingredients
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 cup fat free half and half
8 tablespoons key lime juice
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup organic powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions
Preheat oven to 350*F. In a medium sized bowl combine flour, evaporated cane juice, baking powder, and salt. Next add eggs, half and half, and 4 tablespoons of the lime juice and mix well. In a separate bowl combine the 4 remaining tablespoons of lime juice with the sweetened condensed milk. Pour 2 1/2 tablespoons of batter into 18 pre paper lined cupcakes. Next divide sweetened condensed mixture between the cupcakes, about a tablespoon per cupcake. Then use the batter to fill the cupcakes to 3/4 of the way full. You will have some batter left over. You can make plain lime cupcakes with the left over batter. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean or the cupcake bounces back after lightly touching it. Cool on a wire rack.
While they are cooling, in a medium size bowl mix heavy whipping cream until it becomes thick. Then add organic powdered sugar and vanilla. Continue mixing until stiff peaks form. Pour into a zip lock back and close. Cut a hole on one of the corners and squeeze out whipped cream in a circular motion on top of each cupcake. Can top with zest of a lime. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment