Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Pumpkin Squares

As you may have noticed from my last few posts, I am very excited for fall. I know I'm jumping a head of myself, school just started. But the flavors of fall are so warm and delicious I can't help it! I had some pumpkin left over from the waffles I made last week. I didn't want it to go to waist so I made these pumpkin bars. They turned out incredible! The original recipe comes from one of my old collage friends, Michele Fluckiger. I did make a bunch of changes including a different frosting, but I think the changes were delicious. I also love this recipe because it's quick, easy, and it makes tons so I was able to share it with a few neighbors. Enjoy this wonderful fall treat.
Pumpkin Bars
Ingredients
2 cups caned pumpkin
1 1/4 cups evaporated cane juice
4 eggs
1 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
2 cups whole wheat flour, or Barley flour
1/2 teaspoon xantham gum (if using barley flour)
Directions
Preheat oven to 350*F. In a small bowl mix together pumpkin, evaporated cane juice, eggs, and applesauce. In a separate bowl combine baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, flour, and xantham gum. Add wet ingredients and combine well. Pour into greased and floured sheet cake pan, or cookie sheet that has high edges. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool, frost with Clove Spiced Glaze, and sprinkle with extra cinnamon and nutmeg.
Clove Spiced Glaze
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups organic powdered sugar
1/2 tablespoon coconut oil, solid form
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1-2 tablespoons rice milk
Directions
In a medium bowl combine all ingredients well. Spread very thinly over pumpkin squares and sprinkle with ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg before glaze dries.

No comments:

Post a Comment