Monday, September 20, 2010

Carob Pudding Cake

A few weeks ago I was experimenting with this basic cake recipe. When I finished I wasn't sure what to do with it or what frosting to make. I opened my fridge and saw that I had some left over carob pudding. Then the memory came. When I was younger my mom would make a pudding cake that was so delicious it was hard to eat just one piece. So I thought I could make my version of her pudding cake with this one. I loved how it turned out. My children also loved it and were like me when I was little. But a lase I only let them have one piece. Don't worry they got more the next day and it was just as good then too. :]
Carob Pudding Cake
Ingredients
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 coups evaporated cane juice
2 eggs
3/4 cup rice milk
3/4 cup applesauce
1 recipe carob pudding
1 recipe whipped cream
1/4 cup carob chips, chopped in food processor
Directions
Pre heat oven to 350*F. In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, and evaporated cane juice. Then add the eggs, rice milk, and applesauce and combine well. Grease a 9x13 inch pan or a 9 inch round pan. Add batter and cook for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool. With the back of a wooden spoon, poke holes all over in the cake. Pour chilled pudding over the cake, letting it fall into the holes. Top with whipped cream and garnish with chopped carob chips.
Carob Pudding
Ingredients
1 cup evaporated cane juice
5 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups rice milk
1 cup carob chips
2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions
In a medium sauce pan combine evaporated cane juice and salt. In 1/2 cup of the rice milk mix in the cornstarch. When cornstarch is completely dissolved add to the sauce pan and turn heat on medium. Add remaining rice milk and carob chips. Stir constantly until carob chips milt and the mixture starts to thicken. Remove from heat. Take a tablespoon of the mixture out and add it to the egg yolks and stir, repeat twice. Put carob mixture back on heat. Slowly add the egg yolks, stirring continually. Cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Chill before topping cake.
Whipped Cream
Ingredients
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/4 to 1/2 cup organic powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions
In a bowl, pour whipping cream and start mixing on low, gradually increasing the speed. When the cream starts to thicken and soft peaks start to form, turn off mixer and add organic powdered sugar. Turn on mixer, slowly increasing the speed as the sugar combines. When the peaks start to turn a little more stiff, turn off the mixer and add the vanilla. Mix until stiff peaks form. Spread on a cool cake, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment