Thursday, September 30, 2010

Roasted Tomato Soup

The tomatoes in my garden are going crazy! And by that I mean, I have a ton of tomatoes. When I found this recipe I was so excited to experiment with it. My kids love the final result. I do have to say that it is A-mazing! I love the taste of the basil combined with the sweet after taste of the honey. I do have to be honest, this recipe is extremely easy, but it is a little labor intensive. A few days ago I picked almost 20 big tomatoes from my garden so I made a double batch. It turned out just as delicious as the other few times I've made it. I gave some to my neighbors, we ate some, and I froze the rest. I'll let you know later how it freezes for a quick meal. Enjoy!
Roasted Tomato Soup
Ingredients
8-10 ripe tomatoes, courted and seeded
1 1/2 teaspoons butter or extra-virgin olive oil
2 onions, chopped
1 tablespoons garlic, minced
1 heaping tablespoon, dried basil leaves
4 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 14oz can chicken broth (reduced sodium and fat free)
Parmesan cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
Directions
Preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place tomatoes on the prepared baking sheet, cut side down, and sprinkle with salt. Broil until skins are blistered, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool, then slip off the skins.
Meanwhile, heat butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until onions are very soft. Stir in tomatoes and cook for about 1 minute. Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and process until smooth; return to the saucepan. Stir in broth, celery salt, honey, and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with Parmesan cheese and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment