Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Wisdom Wednesday!!

Spelt


Today I wanted to go over another flour that I like to use, Spelt Flour. I use it in the Low Gluten mix I showed you here. Spelt is in the wheat family. It actually looks a lot like wheat but a little longer. It does have gluten in it, but it is not as tough as the gluten in wheat so it is easier for our bodies to break down. Most people who are gluten intolerant can digest this flour but not those who have celiacs disease. You can easily grind spelt in your own grinder or mill at home. I really like the flavor of spelt. It has a nice nutty taste and is much lighter than wheat. When I have put it in recipes, especially quick breads and desserts, I get more complements than when I use wheat in the same recipe.

Spelt has some benefits that wheat doesn't have. For one it has 10 to 20 percent more protein that wheat does. It has more thiamine, vitamin B1 and B6, and more vitamin E. Spelt is higher in unsaturated fatty acids, which are important for regeneration of nerve cells. It supports good blood circulation. It is more water soluble which makes it easier to digest.

So if you're wanting to try a new type of flour, give spelt a try. It has great health benefits and tastes good too. Happy Healthier eating!

Sources:

http://nutrition.about.com/od/grainsandcereals/p/spelt.htm

http://wwwlehow.com/about_5453894_spelt-flour-vs-whole-wheat.html

No comments:

Post a Comment