Thursday, September 16, 2010

Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken

How is your garden looking? Mine is getting better and closer each day. It's been a little crazy this year how late everything is. I'm so excited to use the butternut squash I'm growing! One reason is I want to eat this again. I loved, loved this recipe. I only changed a few things and added some things to it too. I love the flavor of garlic and cumin paired with the squash and the under tone of the cinnamon gives it a little surprise that is just delightful. I love cooking in the crock pot/slow cooker. It really can save me on those crazy days.
Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken
Ingredients
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
1 medium bell pepper, sliced (I also added some orange and red bell peppers)
1 1/4 pounds of boneless skinless chicken tenders
1 can diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
1/2 cup salsa
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried chopped onions
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup cooked quinoa or rice
Directions
Layer squash, bell pepper and chicken in a 4 to 5 quart low cooker. Mix tomatoes, salsa, cinnamon, cumin, dried onions, and garlic in a bowl; pour over mixture in slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or until squash is tender and the juice of the chicken is no longer pink. Remove Chicken and vegetables from slow cooker and serve on cooked quinoa or rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment